While Quest 2 is a significant upgrade over its predecessor in almost every way, many people were concerned about Facebook account integration. You don’t have to worry about this in the near future, although Meta is working on a policy change (Opens in a new tab) You will no longer require Facebook accounts to use Oculus Quest 2 (Opens in a new tab) thus.
It turns out that while Quest 2 has some of the best accessories and games for any VR headset, it turns into a useless brick if your Facebook account is banned.
Banning from online platforms can be a little vague at times, but Facebook outlines some steps that can be taken to prevent your account from being banned and, in turn, turning your Quest 2 into a brick. Happened to you already? Here’s what to do if your Facebook account has been banned.
keep it real
Personal identity is one of the biggest aspects of Facebook’s privacy policies and community guidelines. While some social networks allow users to create accounts with fake names or identities, Facebook has scaled back this practice significantly in the past few years to better control its platform and protect itself from legal action. As such, you’ll need to make sure you follow these guidelines with your account:
- Use your legal name
- Use your correct date of birth
- Create only one Facebook account with your single name
Keep it a secret (if you want)
While Facebook requires you to use your real name and date of birth on a Facebook account, there are many ways to control who sees this information. People who prefer to keep their real name and date of birth from prying eyes can do so by adjusting these settings in the privacy settings of their Facebook accounts.
- Log in to Facebook on your smartphone or computer.
- Select the menu button in the upper right corner of the screen. On a PC, this looks like an arrow. On mobile, this might look like a three-line hamburger menu.
- Select Settings. On mobile, you may need to scroll down to find Settings.
- Select Privacy Settings. On mobile, you may need to scroll down to find the privacy settings.
- Adjust the settings on this page to your personal comfort level. The most private level available in most settings is just me.
- Decide who can see your privacy information from the list.
- you may Remove information from any domains From this section you do not feel comfortable sharing with Facebook or users on Facebook.
Alternatively, you can also use a different Oculus username in place of your Facebook account. When you first create an Oculus account, you’ll be able to set up a unique username that other players will see. If you already have an Oculus account, here’s how to change your username for more privacy.
- Log in to the Oculus website in Oculus.com (Opens in a new tab).
- After logging in, Select your profile picture again in the upper-right side of the website, then select Profile personly.
- on your profile page, Click Edit next to your profile name.
- Change it to what you want people to see publicly.
- Choose Save and confirm When you finish.
If you’re like me, your Facebook account will only be used for Oculus. This is, by far, the best way to ensure that no other Facebook activity will block your Oculus Facebook account.
While playing online games in virtual reality, it is important to follow up with Facebook Behavior in Virtual Reality Politics (Opens in a new tab)which states that players must respect others’ personal space and not harass others online.
If you are a regular user of Facebook and are involved in posting on social media, consider reading through Facebook Community Standardsthat govern the use of the Platform. The Community Standards still apply even if you only use Facebook to access Oculus content, but it’s also important to follow them when posting regularly to the Facebook platform.