Snapdragon will power Galaxy flagships globally, starting with S23

Admin, Thursday, July 28, 2022
Rate this post

tl; DR

  • Qualcomm has announced that the Snapdragon silicon will support the world’s leading Samsung Galaxy phones.
  • The deal includes the Galaxy S23 series “and beyond”.

We’ve been hearing rumors for a while now that Samsung could skip its flagship Exynos chipset in favor of Qualcomm’s Snapdragon powerhouse. Now, Qualcomm has used its Q3 fiscal 2022 earnings announcement to announce that it will operate Samsung’s flagship phones globally as part of a large-scale deal.

“The way you have to think about it is that Snapdragon will power their Galaxy product line, and their flagship Galaxy products,” Qualcomm CEO Cristiano Amon said in response to a question during the earnings call.

“And what I can say at this point is that we were 75% on the Galaxy S22 before the agreement (sic). You should be thinking we’re going to be a lot better than the Galaxy S23 and beyond. It’s a multi-year agreement. That’s probably what I can tell you,” said Cristiano. Amon, CEO of Qualcomm during the earnings call, “You should consider making their hardware global.” Qualcomm press release In the agreement, he also notes that Snapdragon silicon will power “more premium Samsung devices globally.”

No Exynos Galaxy S23?

Amon’s figure of 75% indicates the percentage of Galaxy S22 series phones that shipped with the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset. The remaining 25% of S22 devices were powered by the Exynos 2200 internal processor.

There’s some room for interpretation with Qualcomm’s data, which suggests we’ll see Snapdragon-powered Galaxy flagships in a lot more areas but we’re not explicitly saying it will work. All variables.

What do you think of the Snapdragon powering the Galaxy S23 globally?

49 votes

Anyway, the news comes as part of a larger agreement between Samsung and Qualcomm. The chip maker said the agreement includes a patent licensing deal for 3G, 4G, 5G and 6G technologies. Qualcomm adds that the deal also means that Samsung will expand its use of Snapdragon silicon in categories such as computers, tablets, extended reality, and more.

We asked Qualcomm and Samsung to explain what this news means for the Galaxy flagships powered by Exynos. We will update the article if/when the two companies come back to us.

Rate this post